You are here

Home project studio. Next steps.

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Home project studio. Next steps.

Postby GMP » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:25 am

I am still looking for suggestions on what to do next to get my space working better.

The room in is a true square at 24' 8" x 24' 8". Height is 7' 5" to the joists and 8' 3" to the top. I think I need to divide this into two spaces to get better results.

Any suggestions on this?
GMP
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:26 pm

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but what's driving the requirement to split the room?
At the moment you've got a single good sized space, by splitting it you risk ending up with two bad-sized spaces!
That's not necessarily the case of course, but it's definitely worth being really clear about why you're splitting the room.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:53 pm

I'm with Drew on this, why split? You have a room that is approximately 6x the floor area of my home studio. There would be very few of us in the UK with that amount of space.

Keep it as a single space and install some serious bass trapping. If you were to divide the room with a stud wall 5" thick you would lose approx 10 sqft of floor space. A 3' x 3' floor to ceiling bass trap would only occupy 9 sqft.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Luke W » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:17 pm

My thoughts are the same as well. Yes, a perfect square is a pain for sound, but it's not the only thing that needs to be considered. As pointed out above, that's a really good amount of space and you'll be able to fit in an awful lot of treatment and still have more room than lots of places are working with.

Music Wolf wrote:If you were to divide the room with a stud wall 5" thick you would lose approx 10 sqft of floor space. A 3' x 3' floor to ceiling bass trap would only occupy 9 sqft.

When you also consider that the two resulting spaces would then still need treating acoustically, you lose even more! I would leave it as a single space personally, unless splitting it has a significant practical benefit.
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby GMP » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:27 pm

blinddrew wrote:Sorry to sound like a broken record, but what's driving the requirement to split the room?
At the moment you've got a single good sized space, by splitting it you risk ending up with two bad-sized spaces!
That's not necessarily the case of course, but it's definitely worth being really clear about why you're splitting the room.

There is no reason for the splitting beyond wanting more accurate monitoring.

I am relatively in educated in acoustics. I am under the impression that if I continue mixing in this square room I would be doing myself a disservice.

Everyone here says to leave the room whole. I am all for not building a wall.

Thank you all for the input.
GMP
Poster

Postby GMP » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:54 pm

Music Wolf wrote:I'm with Drew on this, why split? You have a room that is approximately 6x the floor area of my home studio. There would be very few of us in the UK with that amount of space.

Keep it as a single space and install some serious bass trapping. If you were to divide the room with a stud wall 5" thick you would lose approx 10 sqft of floor space. A 3' x 3' floor to ceiling bass trap would only occupy 9 sqft.

I will do this. Do you see any acoustic issue with this trap being on wheels? I assume this needs to be centered on the back wall and I will need to roll it away from a door.
GMP
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:40 pm

If it's not something you know a great deal about yet, before spending any money or embarking on construction I'd suggest reading up on a few basics.
Before looking at my room I, on the basis of recommendations here, read a couple of books:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Recording ... 143545717X
and for a lot more theory:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Handboo ... 160&sr=8-1

Acoustics is a massively complex field* but fortunately there are some basics you can get your head round and apply fairly consistently that will provide a huge benefit.

* One I make no claims to understand by the way! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:50 pm

GMP wrote:I am relatively in educated in acoustics. I am under the impression that if I continue mixing in this square room I would be doing myself a disservice.

Sorry are you going to record or mix in this space? Or both? Between the two there are some different requirements...
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:14 pm

I'm with the others, make the best of what you have, there will be places in the room where you can achieve a fairly neutral bass response for mixing and leave plenty of room for musicians and recording. Well thought out acoustic treatment with lots of large bass traps and you have the potential for a brilliant recording and mixing space.

If it was 50% bigger then I might suggest two rooms but then we'd be into serious soundproofing and all the room within a room, floating floors and so on which would require a budget of 10 times theist of the treatment you are considering.

FWIW I have a room a little more than ? to size of yours (13' x 13') with an even lower ceiling, about 6'6" so the 3.5" my cloud takes up becomes a problem if I invite any of my taller mates to visit...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby GMP » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:48 pm

Humble Bee wrote:
GMP wrote:I am relatively in educated in acoustics. I am under the impression that if I continue mixing in this square room I would be doing myself a disservice.

Sorry are you going to record or mix in this space? Or both? Between the two there are some different requirements...

I track and mix in this room currently.

This is why I was considering making two 12' x 24'8" rooms.

Thank you
GMP
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:12 am

If you were to split the room, doing so straight down the middle might just about be the worst way of doing so. You'd end up with rooms that were almost 8' by 12' by 24' and it would be standing wave city.
A better approach would be to think on the diagonal. I'm not in a place to knock up a sketch at the moment but i'll try and remember tomorrow.
But i still reckon that the benefits of separate rooms that HB alludes to would be offset in this space because neither would be quite big enough.
But again, i'm no acoustician. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby GMP » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:39 am

blinddrew wrote:If it's not something you know a great deal about yet, before spending any money or embarking on construction I'd suggest reading up on a few basics.
Before looking at my room I, on the basis of recommendations here, read a couple of books:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Recording ... 143545717X
and for a lot more theory:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Handboo ... 160&sr=8-1

Acoustics is a massively complex field* but fortunately there are some basics you can get your head round and apply fairly consistently that will provide a huge benefit.

* One I make no claims to understand by the way! :)
Books ordered. Thank you for the recomendations.
GMP
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:03 pm

Ok, so here's a rough mock up of how you could split a square room into a space without introducing all the problems of having sides being multiples of each other.
But you still retain a symmetrical mixing / control room.

Blue stuff is acoustic treatment (light blue is ceiling clouds) of whatever form you might choose.

I still reckon to really benefit from having separate rooms you want both of them to be larger than what you could achieve in your space.

But once again I stress, this is just an idea, I'm not an acoustician! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:49 pm

If you are the recording engineer as well as one of the band (which you imply) having a separate control room is pretty pointless IMHO. Use the cash and effort you would have expended on the partition to buy/build more effective acoustic treatment in the main room, especially more extensive and more sophisticated bass trapping. It shouldn't be too difficult to arrange a decent sounding mix area within the main room using moveable panels which could double as gobos when tracking.

Thinking along the lines of, when tracking the control room is wasted space, when mixing it's too small to confer any acoustic benefits over using a semi-dedicated space in the main room. Just make the main room the nicest place to be that you can so that you'll want to be in there.

Just my 2p...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby GMP » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Thank you Drew for you time and effort on this. I had not considered this possibility before.

If you had the space how deep would you go in the corner bass traps?

My original plan was to cut the rockwool I have in to triangles = 86.4 cm or 34" across the face. I could go bigger. Or should I add triangle traps where the wall meets the ceiling?

I like the idea of building a moveable wall of gobos as semi separation. I see the utility in this for isolating during tracking then moving for the mix bit.
GMP
Poster

PreviousNext