You are here

My experience (so far)

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: My experience (so far)

Postby Folderol » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:59 pm

... or you could go the other way with soft-synth hardware modules.
{snigger}
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Fishnish » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:19 pm

Folderol wrote:... or you could go the other way with soft-synth hardware modules.
{snigger}

That way madness lies, methinks :bouncy: :bouncy:
Fishnish
Regular

Postby Folderol » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:44 pm

Fishnish wrote:
Folderol wrote:... or you could go the other way with soft-synth hardware modules.
{snigger}

"I know I'm mad. Of course I'm mad. I've been mad for fuking years!"

A liquorice allsort for the first person who 'gets' the reference.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby DarthPaul » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:02 pm

Folderol wrote:
Fishnish wrote:
{snigger}

That's MY liquorice allsort!

Dark Side of the Moon, of course!

Or for me, Darth Side.....
DarthPaul
Poster

Postby MOF » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:33 pm

Thanks for this. I had never had an opportunity to play or a hear (live) a Moog before this and I was afraid my attraction to the sound came from reading too much hype online.

I saw a documentary on BBC4 about Prog’ Rock and Rick Wakeman was demonstrating how his Mini Moog allowed him to compete with YES’s guitarist. To annoy him he would play Clangers whistle type noises during his song introductions. :lol:
I could only afford a Korg MS10 back in the day, my only true analogue synthesizer, later I had the Matrix 1000 which had digital oscillators and analogue filters etc but sounded very good, since then it’s been software emulations, which to my ears sound very good these days.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:36 pm

I also have a Minitaur here and it sounds superb. It also has a great VST editor panel, which makes for really good integration into a DAW. Very glad I picked one up when they were cheap and plentiful.

Unfortunately it has neither the depth, the snarl, or the purr of the Mk1 Taurus, which is a shame from my point of view, since I really wanted it as a portable version of my Taurus pedals.

This said, it's still a damned fine instrument in its own right, far more versatile than the Taurus, and capable of some punchy bass sounds. :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:32 pm

What’s all this bother about the size of keys anyway?
Unless it’s a real piano they are just a bunch of off/on switches . . . .
:shock:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:45 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:What’s all this bother about the size of keys anyway?
Unless it’s a real piano they are just a bunch of off/on switches . . . .
:shock:
No they're not. How about velocity/pressure?

And try playing the Minute Waltz on mini keys - you'll soon see why piano keys are the size they are...

And if you're a guitarist... what if your fret positions were half the distance?

When you've worked and worked your whole life to achieve some sort of muscle memory in order to play to any degree of skill, having to muck about with mini keys is a dismal prospect.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:50 pm

The Elf wrote:And try playing the Minute Waltz on mini keys - you'll soon see why piano keys are the size they are...

You'd probably (like me) be appalled at the amount of people using, say, Logic, with no input device other than the mouse, and the computer keyboard for playing notes...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:56 pm

desmond wrote:
The Elf wrote:And try playing the Minute Waltz on mini keys - you'll soon see why piano keys are the size they are...
You'd probably (like me) be appalled at the amount of people using, say, Logic, with no input device other than the mouse, and the computer keyboard for playing notes...
To each their own. As long as the music justifies the means, then I can't say I'm bothered one way or the other.

I will often create and augment parts using the mouse, and worry about learning it later if I get to play it live.

For non-'players' mini keys are probably perfectly fine as an input device - and a step up from the computer keyboard.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:14 pm

DarthPaul wrote:
Folderol wrote:
Fishnish wrote:
{snigger}

That's MY liquorice allsort!

Dark Side of the Moon, of course!

Or for me, Darth Side.....
It's going by reindeer. This might take some time. It's not certain they'll make deliveries this year.

Back on topic:
Absolutely agree with Elf. Apart from anything else, on a proper keyboard it's always possible I'll occasionally clip an adjacent key. On a mini keboard it's an absolute certainty - frequently.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:35 pm

The Elf wrote:For non-'players' mini keys are probably perfectly fine as an input device - and a step up from the computer keyboard.

"Will somebody think of the children ! "
mini keys are ideal for the up & comming stars of the future & people with small hands or maybe even restricted movement ?

If your must have synth has mini keys you could possibly plugin the midi controller of your choice ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:36 pm

Folderol wrote:Absolutely agree with Elf. Apart from anything else, on a proper keyboard it's always possible I'll occasionally clip an adjacent key. On a mini keboard it's an absolute certainty - frequently.

It's what you're used to though. If you only play on full size keys for your entire life, of *course* minikeys are going to feel terrible,

If you're a kid and that's al you know, you're probably used to it, and full szie keys seem unplayably massive! (I've had both experiences when I'm mostly using only one or other formats). Also the same between synth action and weighted action keyboards.

But - a guitar player has much smaller targets to hit accurately (eg the interstring spacing - fretting one string and making sure they don't hit another string etc) and it's perfectly possible for people to perform accurately at very small tolerances - *if* you have built up the muscle memory.

(I'm not saying a mini-keyboard is equal to a large one, I'm just saying that they are non unplayable if that's what you want to do... Plus you get a nicer wider reach span as well... :) )
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:40 pm

N i g e l wrote:
The Elf wrote:For non-'players' mini keys are probably perfectly fine as an input device - and a step up from the computer keyboard.
"Will somebody think of the children ! "
mini keys are ideal for the up & comming stars of the future & people with small hands or maybe even restricted movement ?

If your must have synth has mini keys you could possibly plugin the midi controller of your choice ?
What do you think I do with the Yamaha refaces I have?! :lol:

As to the children... far better they learn on full-size keys and get used to them from day one I'd say.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Fishnish » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:50 pm

The Elf wrote:I also have a Minitaur here and it sounds superb. It also has a great VST editor panel, which makes for really good integration into a DAW. Very glad I picked one up when they were cheap and plentiful.

Unfortunately it has neither the depth, the snarl, or the purr of the Mk1 Taurus, which is a shame from my point of view, since I really wanted it as a portable version of my Taurus pedals.

This said, it's still a damned fine instrument in its own right, far more versatile than the Taurus, and capable of some punchy bass sounds. :thumbup:

Ha, yes I'd been on the lookout for one for a couple of years and pounced when I came across a vulnerable one roaming unwatched and attractively priced on Evilbay.

+ 1 On the editor, a real enhancement! It took me a while to get round to registering the unit and downloading the software but now it's done I'm not sure how I ever managed without it!

Other folk who own original Mk 1s or Mk 3s have said the same to me - the Minitaur in direct comparison comes close, but not quite there for "those" sounds. I guess one could look on the Minitaur as a domesticated strain of the original wild beast, one that doesn't gore you or splatter the floor. And as you say surprisingly versatile for what could appear to be a one trick pony at first glance.

I've never personally had the chance to experience the full fat Taurus iterations hands (feet?) on, but do remember a girlfriend at a Yes show back in the day complaining that Chris Squire's pedals were hurting her stomach so much she had to go to the bathroom. Ten minutes later Wakeman's Minimoog was giving her toothache.
Fishnish
Regular

PreviousNext